Wednesday, February 8, 2023
Home Latest News Government lifts ban on Link Buses

Government lifts ban on Link Buses

by Editorial Team
0 comment

By Alex Balimwikungu

The government has agreed to lift the two-week suspension that had been imposed on the Link Bus company after agrisly accident in Fort Portal that claimed 21 lives last week.

Last week, the government grounded 90 buses of Link Bus Company after one of them crashed 

The bus company early this week came out and expressed their worry over loan accumulation since their suspension. The Uganda Bus Owners Association ( UBOA) General Secretary Robert Kyobe said that since the company had treated the injured passengers, they need money and they cannot manage this when their buses are grounded because they have to react to the affected people immediately as they wait for insurance companies to refund.

While addressing journalists at the Uganda Media Centre, the minister of Works and Transport, Gen. Katumba Wamala, noted that the suspension of Link Operations was not meant to frustrate the bus company but was intended to give the government time to inspect all the buses.

Having gone through all the processes and being convinced that Link Bus has taken the necessary process to address the challenges and has put in place measures to address the gaps that were there, we have taken the decision to lift the suspension against them,” Wamala said

On the cause of the accident, Wamala said that the driver (now deceased) of the Link Bus, which crashed on May 4, was caught by police cameras going 99km/hr shortly before the crash. He was also driving with one hand.

“He decided to overtake a fuel tanker at a corner, at a high speed, and on a slope. When he tried to negotiate the road, he lost control of the bus,” he said.

You may also like